Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Hot! Hot! Avery's Got It!


It was a rather chilly, blustery day outside as we dove out of the rain puddles and into the wonderful Visitor's Center of Lafayette, Lousiana. But the dreariness of the day outside did not put a damper on the excitement of our adventures...or the brightness of the people we met!

  "I get up in the morning to go make coffee and to make people smile :)"

 "I get up in the morning because 'coo coo' tells me it's time to."

"I get up in the morning because I gotta make money going to work so I can feed my progeny."

"I get up in the morning to see what surprises the day may hold."

"Because I love life."


We tell the tale of a tree that our good friends had so kindly told us to find.
A tree in which somehow between making PB&J's and reading road atlas's, we'd mixed up our Louisiana cities...
...and spent the day before in New Orleans, scampering across the streets and searching high & low for a marvelous 500 year old tree.
Searching apparently in a wrong city entirely.


But as soon as we'd mentioned our woes to the lovely ladies at the Visitor's Center, they knew exactly where in Lafayette we needed to go!


And also where to send us right after we found it!
So to Avery Island we went in search of Tabasco's Hot Sauce Factory!

"I enjoy life and getting up to go to work and meet new people."


It's easy to find the factory when you can smell their famous pepper sauce...


...and see their enormous bottle of Tabasco!


Sitting at about 163 ft above sea level, and on one of the five salt dome islands on the Louisiana Gulf Coast, Avery Island is not only home to the Avery/McIllhenny families' pepper sauce factory, but also to the beautiful botanical garden which surrounds it!


Once you've finished the tour & the museum, follow the sidewalk to the country store where you can browse Tabasco themed souvenirs...and try some delicious...and some interesting samples!


We recommend the Raspberry Chipotle ice cream...
...and a very tiny sip of the hot sauce soda!


The Acadian Cultural Center is a wonderful place to visit to discover the history of the Cajuns (Acadians) settlement into the vast land of Louisiana and their cultural development from the beginning to today!

"To be able to enjoy the day, no matter what it brings and to enjoy my family!"


The length of a typical alligator is 8.2 ft (female) and 11.2 ft (male)!
Here, Jeanette is testing out how many of her footsteps it takes her to walk from the tip of the tail to the nose of a gator!


Thank you to our lovely Louisiana Ladies! :) You all were a joy to meet and spend time with!

"If God sees fit to grant me another day, I want to get up and use it to the best of my ability and in a way that he would want me to."

"There's lots of things to do! I thank the Lord for the day and say 'Lord please let me be a blessing to someone today!'"


To chilly days & hot sauces,
Love,
The Crew + Stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment