Friday, March 27, 2015

In An Effort to Pronounce some German Food


No matter where we go, we're always up for trying things, especially things that we've never done before! And that's how we ended up at the former Governor's Mansion for their fiddle festival!


While the sound of fiddling was still ringing through the mansion, we wandered upstairs to explore some of the home's neat history!


This case displays a collection of items that were found during the home's restoration.  Having been tucked into corners and fallen between floorboards it was an unknown number of years before they were discovered.


The home was interesting, the fiddles sounded great, and we always have a good time whatever we do, but after about two hours we were ready to head to our next adventure!


Probably chosen for it's defensive features, Menoken Indian Village historic site is a National Landmark for it's significance to early European explorations.


Recent radiocarbon dating has placed this former Indian village (of about 30 earthen homes) at around 1200 AD.


Down the road, Double Ditch Indian Village Historic site is another beautiful field that had once been inhabited by Mandan Indians for a span of 300 years.


According to the oral history of the Mandans, Double Ditch was one of the seven to nine villages that occupied the area along the Heart River from AD 1490 to 1785.


The highway is full of interesting things, even beyond the pavement and the peanut butter sandwiches, including the world's largest crane!

"I get up for my family, the light of my life!"
"To make sure I make the world a better place than the day I came into the world."

"To help other people to know their worth. Every single person should know they matter and are loved!"

"I get up to serve God in new ways each day. Also because my alarm goes off. :)"

"Because people depend on me (my boys) and I love them! I also am anxious to see what surprises God has planned for me. :)"


Although knoephla, the 'Lumpy Yellow Soup' doesn't sound like something delicious to order off the menu, this dumpling, potato, and chicken soup is a scrumptious German delicacy!


While hard to pronounce, fleishkuechle's savory taste makes it easy to eat, especially with a heaping serving of mashed potatoes and gravy! The hamburger patty  is seasoned to perfection and then fried in a pie like crust until golden.


Finish off your meal (or start it like we did) with a kuchen dessert!
Although it looks a little odd, it's quite scrumptious.
Think of the concept of a pie (crust on bottom and on top), and then make that crust really fluffy like a delicate cake, and fill it with a light apple filling. Now close your eyes and let your taste buds do the rest.

"Either because I have to go to work or because my kids need me. Besides, if I lay in bed too long my back hurts."
"Usually either because my kids get up or because I have to go to work (or they have to go to school). I guess it's the responsible thing to do. :)"

"So you can drink and eat to be healthy. :)"
"Because I don't feel good when I sleep too much. :)"


Thank you to our incredible North Dakota family for all of your kindness! We had such an amazing time getting to be a part of your family for a few days...and we hope to see you all again soon!

To good times, good people, and good food,
Love,
The Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment