Sunday, March 1, 2015

To See a Magnificent Hole in the Ground


Taking a day to see a hole in the ground.  Fortunately for us, is was a very beautiful hole in the ground and the drive was pretty spectacular too.


By way of Sedona, we made our path... that is until we passed a sign informing us of a road closure a few miles up.  Stopping for directions, we were presently informed that, "Yep, the road was closed and we weren't going to get to the Grand Canyon that way."


Thanks to our sweet Arizona family, we learned that for the entire month of February, Chick-fila was giving their customers free hot or iced coffee! We love Chick-fil-a…and we love coffee…and it seemed like the perfect excuse to get some waffle fries too!

"I wake up in the morning because I've encountered something greater than this world in my Catholic faith, and once you have discovered something like this, there's no going back. Plus, I really like the girl that I'm dating!"


Arriving at the Grand Canyon, we thoroughly enjoyed the sweeping landscape broken up by their painted red rock formations which made this state’s views incredibly unique.


The views from the overlooks of the canyon were beautiful, but nothing like what we were getting ready to see as the sun slowly crept it’s way into setting.



Waiting on the sun to set, we found a little niche in the rocks that became the idyllic seat for a little rock-side reading!


Even though we were all bundled up because it was a bit chilly, the view of the blues and purples smeared across the skies atop the mile deep, 277 mile long, and 18 mile wide canyon were spectacular.

Thankful for our blankets from the car, we were well prepared for the chilly evening breeze.

"I wake up in the morning early to enjoy the new day with a cup of coffee and quiet reading time. I am 70 years old and still involved in businesses that keep my mind and body active. For my children and grandchildren, and for this wonderful country."

 

Trying not to get blown away by some gusting wind, the lookout was precarious, but Jennifer still made it out onto the rock!

Do you know what we learned? That in 1962 a London Bridge was actually falling down...  The bridge was originally built in 1831, but fell into disrepair.  The bridge went up for sale where someone purchased it, had it dismantled, and reconstructed in Lake Havasu City in 1968.

 

Thankfully, no longer falling down, we couldn't help but hum that catchy tune a bit as we went walking across...

"I get up because I want to greet the new day and I am happy to be alive."

 
The double, double & a shake from In & Out!
  So tasty, but please note, due to the enormous size, they are not driver friendly.
We just don't have this kind of fast food where we come from.

"I get up because I look forward to having fun and enjoying myself and seeing the people I love."

 "I get up in the morning to take care of my family, Leah, Lila, and our little guy who will be here soon!"  (Update:  He has arrived!  Welcome to the world, Blaise Thomas!)
"I get up because my little girl is awake!"





 Thank you so much to our Arizona Family!  We had a wonderful time visiting and catching up! Thank you for all of your delicious home cooking, good laughs & stories. It was good to see some old friends!
This little cutie woke us up every morning!  Such a little ray of sunshine!  We were so glad us 'fnds' were able to visit.



To beautiful sights and beautiful people.

Love,
The Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment