Thursday, March 26, 2015

National Treasures


Sheltered in the black hills of South Dakota, Custer city is home to some beautiful views, wonderful people, and down right delicious burgers!


The Burger & Bun has handcrafted a meddly of unexpected ingredients into their Hot Granny burger that will surprise, intrigue, and capture your taste buds.

"Live in the Black Hills."
"For my girls."


A quick trek down to Hot Springs landed us at an active paleontological dig site!


Once a dangerous sinkhole, volunteers at this site have excavated 58 Columbian Mammoths and 3 Woolly Mammoths, making it the largest concentration of mammoth remains in the world!

"I love my job!"

"I like to."


Rankin Ridge trail in Wind Cave National Park gave us a sweeping view of the Badlands and western South Dakota before we headed out to Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park!

There, it was Jeanette, with a few instructions from our South Dakota family, who found the exact rock that Nicholas Cage slipped his hand into in the National Treasure: The Book of Secrets!


We didn't find any City of Gold. but we did see the bird silhouette in the rock, and we were treated to some rather spectacular views of the lake.


We'd heard tale of a Poet's Table,
High up on a rock in Custer State Park.
It's hard to find, but those who are able,
Say that it's the most inspirational spot.


Many try to go, but few ever make it there,
To that table and cabinet that is filled with the books that are a poet's wares.
Each traveler leaves their words for the next to discover,
 But it's the journey up that makes you realize the strong bonds you have with each other!


An inspiring beginning to our beautiful day,
Thanks to our South Dakota family for showing us the way!


And that's it. I promise. 
We're all done being poetic & rhyming.
Because now we  have to talk about dinosaurs.


Let it be known that the South Dakotans say it like it is.
When they say that Dinosaur Park is on Skyline Drive, they literally mean that you will be driving on the skyline.
But hey, it's not every day you get to sit on the horns of a life size triceratops!

"Because my alarm goes off (or) my guardian angel wakes me. A rather thoughtless process."

"Why do I get up each day? When I go to bed at night, I look back at the day---the blessings and the struggles---and I entrust them to God. I leave them in His hands...and in the hands of Our Lady. In the morning, I get out of bed to marvel at how they have transformed both my burdens and blessings. I get a fresh start, new strength, new perspective, and new hope that what was too heavy is a little easier to bear and what was beautiful is rooted even deeper within me. God is good."

 Thank you to our phenomenal Southern South Dakota family! You all are so sweet to welcome us into your home and your life. Thanks for all the fun adventures, jokes, and stories!


To living a remarkable day exploring our national treasures,
Love,
The Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment